Welcome to the 15th monthly round-up of developments impacting your local access networks.
1. Get involved
The Internet Society is inviting applications for the online course "Building Wireless Community Networks". The e-learning course will be delivered through its learning portal Inforum. This online course covers essential topics for effective planning, deployment and operational support of wireless community networks. The course will be delivered in English and Spanish. Applications can be submitted in English here
and in Spanish here
Schedule for applications and selections:
25 February 2019 Applications open
10 March 2019 Applications close
15 March 2019 Selected applicants notified
18 March 2019 Course begins
The Internet Society encourages applications from people who have an interest in deploying wireless community networks for access and development purposes. For any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Events and conferences
3. Community networks in news and blogs
- Community Network Champions Take a Rural Dip in India. Read more.
- Getting Your Community Off to a Quick Start with CN Quickstart - Community Broadband Bits Podcast 339. Listen here.
- Connecting the last unconnected billions through community networks. Read more.
- Inspiring young people in Kenya's Kibera slum. Read more.
- In September 2017 the communities of the municipality of Buenos Aires, Cauca (Colombia) started the planning and construction of their own communications network with the help and support of Colnodo, the Internet Society and other actors who wanted to join the project. Watch here.
- Ken Sanderson discusses remote and rural First Nations community broadband communications in Canada. Watch here.
- [Español] Internet Society - Las Redes Comunitarias. Mira aquí.
- [Español] ¿Qué hacer cuando mercado y gobierno no llegan al México rural? Leer más.
- Telone partners with Buhera-based internet company to set up network system after calls by Zimbabwe-based community network Murambinda Works to provide it with fibre to launch the project. Read more.
- [Español] Organizaciones civiles e indígenas presentarán propuesta para lograr cobertura plena de telecomunicaciones. Leer más.
- [Español] Elementos fundamentales para una política de cobertura plena de telecomunicaciones en México. Leer más.
5. News on policy and regulation
- World Telecom Labs has urged the Nigerian Communications Commission to enforce the use of excess spectrum by telecom networks in rural areas to increase connectivity. Read more.
- Risks and Opportunities of Late Telco Privatisation from Research ICT Africa. Read more.
6. Reports and publications
6.1 Reports relevant to community networks and local access initiatives
- Joint submission by Murambinda Works, Association for Progressive Communications, Internet Society and Rhizomatica on the consultation paper on light licensing of the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band in Zimbabwe. Read more.